About Me

My photo
Conway, Arkansas, United States
I am a mother, a reader and a writer.

Monday, November 30, 2009

A Country Year by Sue Hubbell

I enjoyed A County Year, a collection of well-done essays, enough to read this book again someday. Sue Hubbell's writing is as real as the creatures and the plants she loves. I admired Hubbell's love and knowledge of nature. I admired her ability to point out others' lack of appreciation of nature's creatures, without chastising them or speaking ill of them. I admired her independence and the way she spoke of her former husband. There seemed to be some pain still there, but it was not a suffering she dwelled on or even spoke of, beyond comments such as having to learn to use a wrench he left behind. In some ways, I wonder if a man has the same appreciation for those passages -- or even a woman who's never had to fend for herself alone. Hubbell lived what she wrote in every sense. If you are a fan of Barbara Kingsolver's creative nonfiction, you will likely enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Objectionable comments will be deleted.