About Me

My photo
Conway, Arkansas, United States
I am a mother, a reader and a writer.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Memorable Lines

From William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying in a chapter narrated by the dying Addie Bundren: "My father said that the reason for living is getting ready to stay dead. I knew at last what he meant and that he could not have known what he meant himself, because a man cannot know anything about cleaning up the house afterward. And so I have cleaned my house."
-0-0-
From the preface to Jacqueline Winspear's Pardonable Lies appears this quotation from Sophocles' Creusa:
"Truly, to tell lies is not honorable;/
but when the truth entails tremendous ruin,
to speak dishonorably is pardonable."
-0-0-
From Nicole Krauss' The History of Love, a novel: "Really, there isn't much to say./He was a great writer./He fell in love. It was his life."
-0-0-
From Audrey Niffenegger's "After Words" in The Night Bookmobile, a graphic novel: "In the same way that perfume captures the essence of a flower, these shelves of books were a distillation of my life."
-0-0-
From A.L. Kennedy's short-story collection, What Becomes, these lines appear in "Edinburgh" -- "She gave him books. The same words that were in her mind, now in yours, still warm."
-0-0-
From "Alex & Me" by Irene Pepperberg, a memoir in which the African Grey parrot's last words to owner and scientist Pepperberg include: "You be good. I love you."
-0-0-
From French writer Muriel Barbery's novel Gourmet Rhapsody about an ailing food critic, his food memories and the last food he craves: "He dies."
-0-0-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Objectionable comments will be deleted.