About Me

My photo
Conway, Arkansas, United States
I am a mother, a reader and a writer.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg

Alex & Me by Irene Pepperberg is the sweet story of the amazing relationship between Pepperberg, a scientist who studies birds, and one of her subjects -- an African Grey parrot named Alex.

Alex is one smart bird. He not only can talk but seems to understand what he says. In other words, the little guy isn’t always just mimicking words he hears.

Pepperberg is obviously good when it comes to working with birds. She’s not as good a writer but still gets her thoughts across simply and ably enough without getting the reader too bogged down in scientific jargon.

Pepperberg wrote the book after Alex died prematurely at age 31, apparently from a previously undiagnosed heart condition. Among Alex’s last words to his owner as she prepared to leave work the night he unexpectedly died were these, “You be good. I love you.” If those words do not make us better appreciate the wildlife around us, I’m not sure anything will.

On a side note, I sadly am uncertain, but I think I had the honor of meeting Master Alex many years ago when he was just a young bird. I was working at The Associated Press in Chicago and Alex was living at Northwestern University, where I seem to recall visiting to do a story on him. The little bird was less of a celebrity then. I wish I could find any story I might have written about him.

I recommend Pepperberg’s book as a light and somewhat inspirational read, especially for bird lovers such as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Objectionable comments will be deleted.