About Me

My photo
Conway, Arkansas, United States
I am a mother, a reader and a writer.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes

If you like to read about food, travel and home improvement, Under the Tuscan Sun is the book for you. I read it for a discussion at the now-defunct Savvy Traveler bookstore in downtown Chicago, and I loved it. The book made me want to try the author's recipe for sage butter ravioli, not to mention return to Tuscany, perhaps on a culinary tour. When I went there many years ago, I have to confess I had no idea I was even in Tuscany and didn't appreciate the region's food offerings. I want to go back now that I know a bit more about food and the country. At times, Mayes' writing is tedious, laden with boring details, but her content overcomes this weakness. I also greatly enjoyed her sequel, Bella Tuscany. Movie-goers, the film is very different from the book, which is void of any sexy waiters like the hunk in the popular film. So, don't read this book expecting any romance except, that is, for the romance of food and Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Objectionable comments will be deleted.